Wednesday 7 September 2011

Why have I never read this book before?

Miss R (our wonderful pre-service teacher) brought in this beautifully written book by Colin Thompson to share with us:






The Big Little Book of Happy Sadness won the Family Therapists Picture Book of the Year 2009 and Honour Book in the CBCA 2009 awards.

It tackles a brave subject but the class really engaged with the book. 
 We learnt that sadness and loneliness can always be overcome, and to never give up hope.

Look at the illustrations of dogs! Hilarious!






This book ties in with our theme of friendship too. We see how George's friendship with Jeremy helps George to fill the empty space he feels inside. 


It's a special book- don't miss it!




1 comment:

  1. I remember reading this book to Amber a couple of years ago and I think it went a little over her head! I am sure she enjoyed it a lot more the 2nd time around!

    I thought it was an amazing book to tackle such a big subject in such a thoughtful and meaningful way.

    I will have to revisit it again!

    ReplyDelete